Saturday, June 13, 2009

Thankful at 20

At 7.15 in the evening, I stared at the sky and saw stars - diffused and scintillating. The wide distance in between each enabled them to illumine the various parts of the land. That night, the moon only flashed a crescent. Thus, the minute sparks coming from each star served to brighten the sky's dark blanket.

At this same time 20 years ago, I was born. I wondered whether the same set of stars also served to brighten the night of my birth. If these same stars were the ones visible in the thousand evenings that passed- for two centuries - that formed the years of my life. If these same stars were the ones I had talked to when I was lying down with friends at the field of our school.

If these were, I would like to speak with them and ask how I have been in my 20 years of existence. Good or stubborn? Obedient or foolish? Focused or disintegrated? Sometimes invisible, yet these stars have never left the heavens. It has been witnesses of what we have been, and what we would become. It must have known me since birth.

In the middle of my wonder, I thought of the stars who have been with me ever since - the star who have conceived me as well as the star who have worked hard for me to be properly nurtured. The star who have made me smile, and other stars who have taught me lessons in life. I thought, "Stars cannot only be found in heavens; there are stars on earth."

I realized it was never really important whether or not these stars were the same as the ones which have illuminated the night of my birth. Because stars have always been around - old and new alike - in the heaven of this earth. In the 20 years of my life.

VERY THANKFUL AT 20



Goes beyond Going Out

Over the phone, my friend Terry asked, "Saan ka pupunta ngayon? Lumabas ka to celebrate your birthday." I answered, "I would like to do a favor to myself that goes beyond going out."

Something that goes beyond going out. This was it.


I decorated the wall of my room with a butterfly - a creature I have always admired and loved. Embedded on the wings were my favorite quotations from Robin Sharma's The Monk who Sold his Ferrari (the last book that I have read), plans for the year and a few photos. On the outer portion were my class schedule and my dear Sir Niño's message to me on the last day of my OJT - for me to be always reminded to rise and chase my dreams.

It has been my practice to decorate my wall and post jamelle-ish stuffs on it. And doing this on my birthday would be the greatest gift to give myself - my part of self-discovery. With my plans on it, it would serve as a starting point for another year of graces, blessings and challenges.

On the 11th of June, a Happy Birthday to me. Thank you, Papa God :)


0 comments: