Monday, June 15, 2009

Prepared but not because of Bureaucracy

"Does it apply everywhere?" I asked Engineer Weng. "Generally, yes. The owner of the company always has the last say."



With the needed letters and papers in which the day's agenda were enlisted, I headed off to school at 6.30 in the morning. Given an hour to go before our call time, I opted to ride a jeepney since I was not really in a hurry. Calmly, I walked towards P. Burgos St. where I could hitch a Dapitan-UST or a Quiapo-Blumetritt ride. But before ascending to the metal floors of the one one where I have cruised, I bought a broadsheet to update myself on the latest news in the country.

45 minutes to one hour was my travel time from home to school. Upon arriving, I saw Judy at the Trinity busily typing at the laptop. I uttered, "Ang aga natin ah." We were around 10 minutes ahead our calltime; such a sweet miracle. I put down my bag and took out my folder and to-do list for the day: I knew I was prepared; we were all prepared for what we thought would happen.

Nonetheless, what you knew do not always spell out reality.

Mam Faye called and asked whether Mam Ninia was already around, telling that we would be airing for WebRadio. Yes, we would be airing for WebRadio (an experimental radio broadcast); but when I asked about tomorrow's TV airing in which we all have poured our efforts on - the day's agenda in my papers - she answered, "Pare-pareho tayong wala sa school nang isang linggo. Walang nakakaalam. I-confirm mo kay Mam Ninia. Malapit na ako."

I was left with one thought in my mind: Uncertainty.

With Mam Faye not having been confirmed by Mam Ninia (which she, our dear directress, promised the last time we talked) as to whether we would air or not, our preparations were on the brink of being placed to the trash bin - FOR THE SECOND TIME AROUND OR SO. We certainly prepared, but uncertainly sure of our fate. A sigh was all I can give out, faking smiles to my comrades while they were cracking jokes and telling tales of humor.


The Misa and Diskurso de Apertura

During the Misa de Apertura, I was pressured to get facts regarding the mass for our annotation. I thought that a program would be provided to us for our annotation, but it came out that we would be the ones to look for it. Hence, I asked the journ students to proceed to the Santissimo Rosario Parish to gather the needed data for the annotation. These all happening IN THE MIDDLE OF THE MASS, I felt it would already be impossible for them to talk to people of authority to acquire the needed pieces of information. But who knew, in production all things must be made possible. I hoped against hope.

Ivan and I texted all the way with the issue of not-being-able-to-get-in-and-we-could-not-talk-with-the-authority-because-they-were-in-the-middle-of-the-mass looming our cellphone screens. Looking for alternatives, Mam Faye got the memo from the Office of the Secretary General. Good thing vital information was included therein; thus, it was where Kat based her spiel. Prior to this, Mam Faye asked me to do the annotation upon knowing that Deedah could not make it; but I declined because I already felt not good because of the uncontrollable flush of events: our preparations for tomorrow's TV airing all headed to nothingness.


I just want to clarify (because we are all uncertain)

At lunch, I went to Mam Ninia to ask whether we would be continuing the TV airing or not. I asked, "Clarify ko lang po Mam kung mag-radio na lang po kami or tuloy yung TV." While politely staring at her, I could sense the confusion as well as the uncertainty with regard to her response to my query. She answered, "Di kasi natuloy yung meeting namin nung June 11, so 'wag muna kasi wala pang approval ni Mam Carillo."

In the afternoon, I told this to Mam Faye and she said, "O, akala ko ba meron?" Then I shared with her Mam Ninia's words to me.

I just wanted to clarify, because despite the efforts that we had exerted, still the day went by in uncertainty.


The owner of the company has the last say

The day ended nicely though, despite its chaotic start (upon my arrival at school). The WebRadio experimental airing went smoothly - but still with some technical lapses. TOMCAT members who were around did the day's advisories and time checks. Closing the station in its first day, I broadcasted, "This is UST Tiger Radio, signing off".

In the day's end, we were able to talk to Sir Weng about the proposals and shows that were censored by the higher authorities with no particular and STANDARD-BASED reasons. I asked him, "Does it apply everywhere?". "Generally, yes," he responded. "The owner of the company always has the last say."

Because of this, we felt unprepared because of ask-him-first-but-ask-the-higher-her-first, clogging the system of our organization. Not only once, but MANY TIMES - may it be in small activities or big events.



If this would continue, I don't think I could handle it with grace and ease.

Better push myself further in academics and target higher grades for honors, than work hardly and be a visionary for my loved organization. In the former, there's a bigger chance of succeeding, because bureaucracy is not present. In the latter, we would all die coming up with comprehensive proposals without achieving a good end - ALL because of the present system. I just remembered, WE ARE STUDENTS NOT WORKERS. We are passionate for our craft, not for pleasing any assumed god or pretended authority.

I love TOMCAT. I will always do. But if he higher people won't be considerate enough, I'll be able to do something that I could possibly regret - or not.



I pray that tomorrow, our newscast will be successful. Papa God, send forth your Holy Spirit to each of us.

St. Michael, my Archangel, Pray for us.

0 comments: