Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Last Night, Today and Tomorrow

Last night, I watched Kalye with Sol Aragones' report on the lives of families whose homes float on water. They're living in literally damp houses as water overflowing from the sea bust in their places, causing their floors to be always underwater. Seawater has abnormally risen in the years that passed, hurdling over the dike that is supposed to prevent it from entering the people's houses.

Adding up to the mishap - or rather highlighting the distress of the families - are the inconceivable yet real struggles that their youth(our youth) undergo every school day. The sea hides the bridge that connects their place from the island where their school is situated, urging them to ride a boat in which laps of water from the sea they get. When it rains, with the absence of any protective covering at the boat, they surely get wet.

Struggle, truly it is. For the youth in the place, sacrifice and suffering are what it take to attain the education that the society demands in its varied fields of survival of the fittest. One girl, when asked what her dream is, answered with teary-eyes and cracking voice, "Teacher po".

Whereas many students in Manila are constantly blabbering about what they "lack", here come children pursuing their dreams despite what they "lack".

It leads me to realize that we must learn how to count our blessings. Look at what we have, not look for what we do not have. We are all blessed in various - sometimes hidden - ways.

-----

Today, I wake up realizing that there are important things that I need to pay attention to. More importantly, I must learn how to prioritize well so that I may be able to accomplish these with grace and ease. With the goals that I have in mind, I myself must be effective enough for my battle plan to ensue. Hence, I must inculcate values in each day that pass by, and practice the virtues that I possess. This way, I can form good habits, consequently causing me to do deeds - from smallest to the biggest possible that I can - naturally and effortlessly with the greatest intentions and sweetest act, whether under incredible or spectacular circumstances. As Robin Sharma puts it, "You must do little things everyday to build your character".

With this, I can climb the ladder of growth in a slow yet sure manner.

-----

Tomorrow, I carry the realizations that I have in the night that passed and in the day that shall again pass . With the things that are bound to happen today, another realization shall come into mind again.

0 comments: