Saturday, May 23, 2009

She simply is

Moments with Mama

Sunday, May 17


Mama, Jigs and I were at MOA. Jigs had bought his new shoes and bag for school. I had tops for myself; Mama bought for herself as well. We went in and out of stores to look for a good pair of slips-ons/flats/whatever footwear for Mama.

We went inside Forward and Scoop:

Jam: Ma, ito oh, parang yung sandals mo...
Mama: Hindi ganyan yon...
Jam: Hawig lang... Ito oh, cute (flipping the flats to see the price tag. Whoah, hello 6k :D Geesh, out-of-budget!)
Mama: Maganda nga.

Outside F & S:

Jam (Giggling): I-appreciate mo na lang kasi 'yung mga beautiful sandals na nakikita natin. :P
Mama: Paano mo ma-appreciate 'yun, e hindi mo nga nabili.
Jam: Hehehe :P

*****

Thursday, May 21

I was washing our rice cooker pan and Mama was cooking noodles for dinner. The chicken that was supposed to be served for dinner was spoiled. Eggs stored at the refrigerator were unconsummable as well. Hence, Mama had just opted to cook noodles for our dinner.

Mama: Mabuti pa 'yung mga walang pera, barbecue ang ulam...
Jam (sensing what she meant): ...tapos tayong may pera noodles lang? :P

Then we laughed in unison.

*****

Friday, May 22

I was fixing the nebulizer for my "pausok" session; Mama and Jigs were having their dinner.

Mama: Magbe-bente ka na noh?
Jam: Opo... Yeahuh!
Jigs: June 11 ba birthday mo, Ate Jam?
Jam: Yeahuh!
Mama: Kelan ba pasukan niyo?
Jam: June 9...
Mama: E 'di June 12 ka na pumasok.
Jam: Wow, self-declared holiday ang birthday ko!

Again, Mama and I laughed in unison.




More often than not, Mama and I have a clash of beliefs. When it comes to clothes, the way I clean and manage my room, the way I arrange the plates before we dine, the way I clear the decks of my closet, the way I hang my uniforms, how I put my blankets in order before and after my good night's sleep, how wide I open the window in my room and in our kitchen, when I watch TV and use our computer while she washes clothes through our washing machine.

How she overspeculates about someone or something to which I respond, "Kasi, Ma, huwag mong hahanapin ang sarili mo sa ibang tao... Iba kase ang standards mo sa kanila..." And to which she replies, "Hindi... Kasi... maiintindihan mo din 'yan pagtanda mo..."

How I ask her to go out for a Sunday Mass amidst her everyday-busy-home-cleaning: "Ma, simba tayo..." She answers, "Alam na ng Diyos 'yun. Ikaw na lang magsimba." I tell her, "Siyempre, iba din 'yung may weekly vocation ka." She straightfowardly argues, "Ang mahalaga, gumagawa ka nang mabuti at wala kang ginagawang masama."

When I go out for school early in the morning and go home late. And whether or not I ask for permission before I do, still I hear words that are sometimes - or oftentimes - unpleasant to hear (Ikaw jam ha, school pa ba 'yang pinupuntahan mo? Or Uwi pa ba 'yan ng matinong babae? Or O, may schedule ka na naman bukas? Lakwacha lang naman labas mo e. Or Lahat kase inaako mo).

Nevertheless, despite all these, Mama will always be my Mama. No buts, no because's.

She simply is. And I am because she is.

0 comments: