Sunday, February 14, 2010

Coke Float

You spread your wings and count your feathers, and see that you can only get that far.

I got two straws for my hot fudge and sundae atop my cola.

I have just been from AB Debate Series 2010, and have accepted the bitter fact that we only got to the quarter finals round just like what happened two years ago. Three years back, we were able to make it in the semis. But never in finals.

I placed one straw on my cup, dipped it onto the sundae and tasted its cold sweetness atop my cola.

I thought of the one "loophole" which ruined the entire order of our well-substantiated cases and stance. You see Madam Chair, Playgirl Magazines promote women empowerment. It's a form of expression which women in the past conservative society could not avail of. But what is expression? It was the loophole that mashed the robustness of our arguments, where the imperfect stance of the other side of the house was forcefully tailored to fit. Which encumbered us from taking a leap towards the semi-finals, for a fair and square chance in the championship.

The other straw lied on the tray which I did not take off the table, because I was alone as I sipped my cola underneath the cold sundae.

I thought of the kind words of Joy trying to comfort me despite the joyful yet blank facade that I projected in the end of the tournament. There was still Dials, but it was not series. And we have joined the series for the past three years, yet we were stagnated at the quarter finals round. We have made it to the semis, to the quarters, but never in finals.

You spread your wings and count your feathers, and see that you can only get that far.

I got the other straw and dipped it to the cup the way I did with the other. I got two straws even though I am only one, because I was trying to converse with my other self as I tried to mend my broken heart.

2 comments:

Sancho said...

Awwwww...okay lang yan Ate Jam. You're still one of the best debaters I know.

jam said...

Thank You, Sancho!