Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Afternoons with Niño

During afternoons, after finishing with the editing and collection of news via phone patch from the different provinces of the Philippines, I would sit at the chair at the left of the small cabin-like room of Aksyon Radyo newsroom. Sir Niño would sit at the right, where in front of him lie a table with the phone-console-amplifier-computer-patched atop it.

I would gather the papers of the day to be included in my OJT files; Sir Niño would record his news for the 6 and 9.30 in the evening airing, as well as for the 6 in the morning canned newscast. Minutes later, before live newscast, Sir Niño would ask seemingly crazy stuffs - mostly philosphical in nature.

What is the difference between being wise and being intelligent? Why is heart the symbol of love? What is the difference between wisdom and prudence?

Being the intuitive and analytical girl that I am, I would ask the same questions to myself, and vocally utter my answers as a response to my intern supervisor's queries. Sir Niño, however, not being satisfied with my answers, would revoke and debunk my arguments. He would re-angle the question in such a way that would favor his view on the matter being talked about.

Sa loob ng 30 segundo magsisimula na ang Aksyon Radyo Newsnetwork... 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, Go. Then the newscast would temporarily interrupt our petty argumentation. I would partner with him (on afternoons when Sir Ed is not around) in voicing out the news to the various provinces of the archipelago where there are Aksyon Radyo local bureaus.

After 30 minutes, I would push the boom mic back to its proper place, unload my earphones and return it to the cabinet a meter away from me. Sir Niño would replay the newscast to be picked up by other bureaus from the satellite.

Square off, we would continue our mind battle. In the end, we realize we have our own biases towards issues. We end up winning on our own.

"Sir, ang bully mo. You're madaya..." I would tell Sir Niño. Oftentimes, he would tell me, "Marami ka pang kailangan matutuhan, Jam."

Then, it has been called a day. The clock strikes six, the sun in the bay has set, my afternoon is done.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

indeed, those are intriguing questions. nakakatuwang magisip about philosophical things, don't you agree? :D

jaaaaaaam. hughug. :D

jam said...

FOR KER:
True enough, Ker. For people like us... who are naturally inquisitive. Harhar :) Huuugs back :)