Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Accident of the Tea

I just finished dining with a piece of chicken and washing dishes. I was enjoying the tea that I made in the middle of my hot summer night. When I decided to go to my room to get my Didache.

While walking along our small home's corridor, I suddenly bumped one of the posts that was standing peacefully at my side. I was holding my glass filled with tea at my left; hence, when I bumped the post, the glass was put into motion - tea spilled on the floor. In impulse, my favorite drink during hot summer nights was uncontrollably thrown off the ground. At an instant, I caused mugginess on our smooth and well-polished floor.

Instead of heading directly to my room, I went back to our kitchen to get a rag and wipe off the sticky liquid on our floor. I mopped it once, twice. On the third time, the spilled tea was completely wiped off; I washed the rag, refilled my glass and proceeded to my room.

But this time, I decided to leave my glass on top of our dining table. That is the proper place where a glass of sticky liquid must be laid. Assuming that it could be brought in a bedroom, a stable hand and well-balanced built was needed in order for it not to be brimmed over along the way.

I knew I was clumsy: I didn't have a stable hand; I walked with less care. It wasn't my intention to spill the tea, but it did happen. It was an accident.

And I learned from it. Now, I must walk more carefully, look at the walkway with focus - aware with the position of the posts and walls - and close-fittingly grip whatever I was holding in my hand. This must be done in order for my intention to be fulfilled the way I planned it to be. That way, there would be less accidents and delays.

From my room, I walked back to our living room with the Didache on my hand. I got my tea on the table and sipped some to ease the heat of the night.


0 comments: